What's this - a new type of post? Oh yes indeed and one which I hope will be somewhat useful to all you parents trying to entertain the little ones on a rainy day.
With the weather looking like it could go either way over the next couple of days I thought I would share a recipe that I've tweaked for your own 'DIY playdough' - it's come from Anna over at The Imagination Tree except she has beautiful photos, so please do head on over and check it out.
You will need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tbsp cream of tartar
- Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding a little at a time until it feels right)
- Food colouring (this is optional, but it's always nice)
- Edible glitter (definitely optional, but how much fun!)
- Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar & oil in large mixing bowl
- Add food colouring to the boiling water, in turn add this to the dry ingredients (bit by bit!)
- Stir continuously until it combines (it should be sticky!)
- Allow it to cool down, remove from bowl & knead vigorously until it is no longer sticky (it took me about 3 minutes!)
- If it is still sticky then add just a little flour until you get it just right.
According to the wonderful Anna, if you keep this in an airtight container it can last up to 6 months!!!
Perfect for those rainy days at home...